Thursday, May 2, 2013

Shawty Pimp - 'Still Comin' Real'

Been on another Memphis rap kick recently...this one definitely took some digging. I heard a few tracks off some mix, and really wanted to hear the rest, but that proved a lot more difficult than I figured it would be. Finally got a hold of it off Soulseek (which I highly recommend for all your digital digging needs) and here it is for you.

If you're into the Memphis rap sound (eerie samples, sloooooowwww tempos, and murderous lyrics) you'll instantly notice how different this lil tape is. Shawty Pimp is definitely a producer's producer, whatever that means. He's got a much better ear for hooks than most Memphis producers, and this stuff is REALLY laid back. Like, so laid back it's kinda comical how many murder raps there are over these smooth-jazz beats. They still have the 'feel' of a Memphis tape, but the whole thing has a much more uplifting vibe I guess. I dunno, I like it a lot.

I'd be willing to bet that Lil Ugly Mane took some inspiration from this rarity. No tracklist on the rip I grabbed, but I found a makeshift one off another site.

Shawty Pimp - 'Still Comin' Real' (1995)
Tracklist:

1. Intro
2. One Big Stang
3. Come On With Me Baby
4. Style Like Mine
5. For Them Bustas
6. You Tell Me
7. Pimpin' Still Goin' On
8. Hollow Tips
9. Playaz Ain't Played With
10. Money Fast
11. Interlude
12. You Can't Play No Nigga
13. Dedication
14. Street Sense
15. Outro

DOWNLOAD

...MIGHT have snagged Guice's 'Ashes Off My Blunt' finally, too, so ya MIGHT get to hear that...we'll see...

No comments: